Pregnancy is one of the most miraculous times in a woman’s life. Come join our community of expectant mothers as we learn to meditate and move in harmony with our changing bodies. Taking the time to find the stillness and peace within during pregnancy will help you to meet the power of birth with grace. It will also help you to parent from a place of strength and calm as you journey beyond your pregnancy and birth. Instructor Antoinette Villamil (currently a new mom herself!) invites all expectant moms, whether new to yoga or an experienced yogini, to benefit from this safe and joyful practice.
Mondays, 6:45 – 8:00 pm with Antoinette
Thursdays, 11:00 am – Noon with Kendell
baby and me yoga
Celebrate your child’s precious beginnings of life by taking time to connect in a relaxed and joyful atmosphere. This class includes yoga postures for baby and parent, while nourishing the developing child’s physical, spiritual and emotional bodies. Consider joining us as we foster a sense of joy and connection between child, parent and community. Please bring a baby blanket and soft toy.
Fridays, 10:30 – 11:30 am with Julia
What are the Benefits of Prenatal Yoga? There are many!
Research across the board suggests yoga can: make the mother’s pregnancy and labor more comfortable; provide multiple benefits to your growing baby; reduce the mother’s levels of depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances; improves your baby’s birth weight; reduce preterm labor; and lower the mother’s perceived stress levels.
1. Research from the Mayo Clinic shows how prenatal yoga can make pregnancy and labor more comfortable and provide benefits to your growing baby: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-yoga/MY01542
2. “Prenatal Yoga: 5 Health Benefits Of A Yoga Practice For Expecting Mothers” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/prenatal-yoga_n_3038138.html
3.This study concluded that, “Yoga reduces perceived stress and improves adaptive autonomic response to stress in healthy pregnant women.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19110245
4. More evidence that yoga helps create a healthy pregnancy! “Yoga improves birth weight [and] decreases preterm labor.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15865489
5. “Tai chi/yoga reduces prenatal depression, anxiety and sleep disturbances.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23337557
6. “Yoga and massage therapy reduce prenatal depression and prematurity.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22464118
7. Finally, read about “The effects of mindfulness-based yoga during pregnancy on maternal psychological and physical distress.”
For a comprehensive list of pregnancy-related resources in the Triangle area, check out the resource listings on the Midwifery at Women’s Health Alliance page: http://www.whamidwifery.com/patient-education/community-resources/