who is patanjali?
In this work, Patanjali compiled 196 sutras or slogans that are essentially a roadmap for a happy and healthy life.
Although no one is sure of the exact time when Patanjali lived, it is estimated that this humble practitioner, who became one of the world’s greatest sages, lived in India somewhere between 200 BCE and 200 CE
what is the essence of his instruction?
- Yama: Peacefulness, Truthfulness, Generosity, Conservation, Moderation
- Niyama: Cleanliness, Contentment, Simplicity, Self-Study, Dedication
- Asana: Posture or Pose
- Pranayama: Breath
- Pratyahara: Introspection
- Dharana: Soft Concentration
- Dhyana: Focused Concentration or Meditation
- Samadhi: Union (Yoga)