who is patanjali?
“Often called the father of yoga, Patanjali was the man who codified his thoughts and knowledge of yoga in The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali.
In this work, Patanjali compiled 195 sutras or concise aphorisms that are essentially an ethical blueprint for living a moral life and incorporating yoga into your life.
Although no one is sure of the exact time when Patanjali lived and wrote down his sutras, it is estimated this humble physician who became one of the world’s greatest sages roamed India somewhere between 200 B.C. and 200 A.D. ”
what is the essence of his instruction?
- Yama: Peacefulness, Truthfulness, Generosity, Conservation, Moderation
- Niyama: Cleanliness, Contentment, Simplicity, Self-Study, Devotion
- Asana: Posture or Pose
- Pranayama: Breath
- Pratyahara: Introspection
- Dharana: Soft Concentration
- Dhyana: Focused Concentration or Meditation
- Samadhi: Union (Yoga)